Saturday, December 1, 2012

CASE DIGEST: Parke Davis vs. Doctors Pharmaceuticals

PARKE DAVIS and COMPANY vs. DOCTORS' PHARMACEUTICALS, INC., ET AL. 

G.R. No. L-22221, August 31, 1965

FACTS:

Parke Davies and Company is an owner of a Patent entitled "Process for the Manufacturing of Antibiotics" (Letters Patent No. 50) which was issued by the Philippine Patent Office on February 9, 1950. The patent relates to a chemical compound represented by a formula commonly called chloramphenicol. The patent contains ten claims, nine of which are process claims, and the other is a product claim to the chemical substance chloramphenicol.

Doctors’ Pharmaceuticals Inc. requested that it be granted a voluntary license to manufacture and produce our own brand of medicine, containing chloramphenicol, and to use, sell, distribute, or otherwise dispose of the same in the Philippines under such terms and conditions as may be deemed reasonable and mutually satisfactory, which Parke Davies declined.

Doctors’ Pharmaceuticals Inc. filed a petition with the Director of Patents requesting the Director to grant a compulsory license. After careful evaluation and hearings, the Director granted the request of Doctors’ Pharmaceuticals.


ISSUE:

Is the decision of the Director of Patents in granting Doctor’s Pharmaceutical Inc. compulsory license to use the substance chloramphenicol, valid?


HELD:

Yes the decision of the Director of Patents in granting Doctor’s Pharmaceutical Inc. compulsory license to use the substance chloramphenicol is valid. The Supreme Court says that patents issued to foods and medicines are not exclusive so as not to prevent the building up of patent monopolies. Public benefit is foremost. The Court dismissed the contention of Parke Davies that the Director of Patents erred in granting compulsory license. The decision appealed from is affirmed, with costs against petitioner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Shingles, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid,Parkinson's,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,HypertensionFatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Autism,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicitySyndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases,,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.
Dementia.,Lyme Disease,,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer Dercum,Lupus,Hpv,Weak Erection,Infertility,fibromyalgia,Chronic Diarrhea,Get Your Ex Back,Als,SYPHILLIS,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Breast CANCER,Lung Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Autism,Brain Cancer,Genetic disease,Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease..You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this e-mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com / .  or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219.